Over the weekend I snuck in a little more time in my planner that is part of The Documented LIfe Project (you can read my first post about it HERE.) The challenge for this week (week 9) was to collage something you recycled.
One of the things I love about this project is that you can totally put your own spin on the challenge and do it in your own style without feeling ANY pressure to be like someone else or imitate anyone else's style. Here's my finished page....
And here's a quick look at how I made it. Please remember - I am a total newbie to using paints in my journal, so each little thing feels like an big accomplishment to me. It's very simple but maybe that will inspire someone to give it a try!
First I chose the old items I would "recycle"... a flyleaf from an old reader book that would become the page flap taped into my journal, an old picture of me, and a old piece of wallpaper.
I copied the photo onto plain white copy paper with my printer just to get the placement of the photo for when I ran my "good" piece of paper through the printer. After I did that, I taped the book paper to my copy sheet and ran it through again. I love the way the copy on the yellowed old paper makes it look more vintagy. Then I cut out the white photo copy to use as a "mask" for my painting.
I held the "mask" in place as I made brush strokes with a mix of bright and pastel pink paints coming out from the side of the photo.
That gave my picture a nice little frame...
I also painted a little grass along the bottom edge of the page, but I thought it needed jazzing up around the photo. I thought of drawing a black line, maybe a little doodling, to set it off more, but to be honest, I felt insecure about doing that and because time was short, I decided to sew around the picture with black thread and leave little ends this time.
(It was night time! :)
The background still looked to plain to me, so I got out a box of watercolors and filled in the background - my the first time as an adult EVER using watercolor paint!
I cut flowers out of the old piece of wallpaper...
and glued them to my page (my version of collage this time)...
and added a scrap of a Tim Holtz rub on.
On the back side, I used the thread lines as a frame for a square of paper torn from a notepad, watercolored the background and added a corner of flowers from the wallpaper.
All I need was a little washi tape to adhere it into my planner for this week.
I can't even tell you how ridiculously happy these little creations are making me. It makes me smile the tens of times a day that I open my planner to write something down or check something off. Now I'm having to force myself not to work on more challenges that I missed from the beginning of the year because I have so many other things to get done. Three done!
Thank you for following along - have a GOOD day - hope you have a little time to play!